I finally got around to adding some additional protection against abrasion to my kayaks by making keel guards for both of my Native Slayer Propel 10 kayaks and am very happy with the final results of this project. I should have made this a long time ago but as they say “Better late than never!”. These guards only add additional protection to the high wear areas of my specific kayak which is the nose and tail section of the keel and not the complete length of the keel itself. This video documents the complete process involved that I used to make these that can be applied to any kayak out there regardless of make and model.
Material used for the Keel Guard is called KYDEX.
– Kydex thickness used in this project is .080″ but .060″ is also an acceptable thickness for this project.
– Kydex was mounted using Scotch heavy duty exterior mounting tape (3M vhb tape).
– Kydex is an extremely durable acrylic/PVC alloy. From acrylic, it obtains rigidity and formability; from PVC, toughness, chemical resistance.
– Kydex is weather-proof.
– Kydex can be easily formed with the application of heat (oven or heat gun) and will not stretch or shrink under normal conditions.
– Kydex is scratch resistant with a (Rockwell scale “R” hardness of 90).
— LINKS —
► KYDEX → https://amzn.to/38WgIHZ
► 3M VHB TAPE → https://amzn.to/2xNSymp
► CLEAR RTV SEALANT → https://amzn.to/33tQmvX
► 1500 WATT HEATGUN → https://amzn.to/2IZ8V1z
► KEEL GUARD PDF TEMPLATE → http://bit.ly/2waTP6A
— VIDEO CHAPTER SEGMENTS —
► Removing the old Keel Guard : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=29
► Prepping the Kydex : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=96
► Cutting the Kydex : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=149
► Forming the Kydex : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=201
► Pre-Forming (Rear Keel Guard) : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=390
► Final Forming (Rear Keel Guard) : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=440
► Applying the 3M Tape : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=494
► Attaching the Keel Guards : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=570
► Perimeter Sealing the Keel Guards : https://youtu.be/Al-Hd2drQg0?t=979