As this was my first time trying to do this mod, no video was taken of the process but the end results were amazing to me so I wanted to share these results in the hopes it may inspire others to follow suite who are also looking for solutions to minimize damage to a known high wear area on most kayaks.
Shout out to “Sea Monster Fishing” whose instructional video of his skid plate made this possible! Go check out his video and make one for yourself. See link below:
In this video I show a simple alteration that needs to be done to the fwd aka when using a 2015 aka with a 2014 ama.
In this video I show the additional addon modifications that went along with my 2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14 / Adventure Island ama mod.
The Motor Mount – 0:36
Motor Mount Installation – 2:45
New Grab Bars – 3:58
The Motor – 5:50
Break-in Procedure – 7:19
Motor tip – 8:26
In this video I show how I mounted the modified Adventure Island Xbar to my 2012 Hobie Pro Angler 14.
Attaching Xbar Front Mounts – 0:35
Attaching Xbar Rear Mounts – 3:17
In this video I show how I lengthened the Adventure Island Xbar so that it would fit my 2012 Hobie PA14.
Components – 0:35
Modified Xbar – 1:27
3d Printed Parts & Assembly – 3:09
The last few months of 2018 had me on a very busy handyman schedule with family and relatives especially when the holidays rolled in but I made sure to find the time to work on this project that I affectionately named POSEIDON in hopes of finishing it up for the start of the 2019 year. Aside from from having to do some updates to my kayak trailer, it is just about done so I can get the Hobie out on the water for testing and do a final break-in session on the outboard motor. I did manage to document most of the conversion process which I will be showing in a three part video series for those wanting to do a similar build as there is not a lot of information out there to be found.
This is what happens in Florida when you wear shorts almost on a daily basis year round while out in the sunshine – the perfect tan line! 🤣
I put together my version of a floating bait livewell that I can drag behind me with the kayak or use it off a pier, the shoreline or jetties. It’s the size of a five gallon bucket so it should hold a good amount of bait. I like this setup for the main reason that the bait is in its environment with no need to worry about water temp, circulating the water or using a air bubbler to oxygenate the water to try and keep the bait fish alive.
Decided to do a little crappie fishing this morning for my birthday which turned out to be a good decision. Caught enough for tomorrows dinner with the family. Was a great day to be out on the water. 😊👍
After almost two months of waiting… The Hobie ama I ordered has finally arrived. I was told by Hobie that they have no 2014 amas to sell, but, that they still had the mold for it to make me one but that it might take a while to get it done… Also the “papaya” color I wanted apparently was no longer available either and would have to be made using the current “papaya orange” color. That bummed me out but I was pleasantly surprised to see it was not the case when I unpacked it today. Now I can finally begin with the mod that I so patiently waited for… Well… Maybe not with the holidays now upon us but at least I definitely have a project to start off the new year with! Come on 2019!!! 🤪👍