I decided to do a little crappie fishing trolling a spider rig setup from my kayak on this last day of the year and reflect on the past as 2019 was finally coming to an end… On that note I want to wish everyone a very safe and happy New Year and may 2020 bring much joy and success to all!.
What can I say… I love making and modifying tools. In this video I share my recent modification to a popular manual tire changer that I purchased from Harbor Freight Tools. Owning three trailers and multiple vehicles I found a need to go back to changing my own tires like I’ve always have done in the past but this time making the job much easier with the help of my DIY tire mounting assist tool. Ultimately this was a fun learning experience and cheap project that is now part of my tool arsenal that can be easily stored away and readily available for me to use with the help of most vehicles that utilizes a normal height 2 inch hitch receiver.
Since I’m always on a budget, this is a simple and inexpensive upgrade for the Gorilla tape that I use to help protect the keel of my Native Slayer kayak on common areas known for wear when launching or landing from the shoreline.
This was a last minute, unplanned trip of discovery on local waters seeking what seems to be a mostly undisturbed fish-able areas of this particular secluded canal system.
There are those fishing days when things just don’t work out as planned – this was one of those days…
I finally was able to get the kayak registered to begin testing the outboard motor mounts that I made for my Native Slayer Propel 10 kayak. In this video I am testing the DIY side mount which will be used in conjunction with Hobie Sidekick floats to help add stability to the kayak due to the offset weight of the motor. Aside from checking for stability I will be also looking at what speeds are attainable with the Suzuki 2.5 when pushing the hull design of the Slayer kayak.
Since I love to tinker and make things whenever possible I decided to take on this little project just for the fun of it and see what I could come up with. The main criteria for this motor mount project was that it had to be relatively low cost to make and easy to mount using readily available materials but still do the job that it was intended to do. For the most part I believe I have met that criteria. If anyone is looking to build a motor mount for their own personal kayak then hopefully this video will give you a couple of super cheap alternative choices on how to proceed to get you started! A second “on the water” video using these mounts are currently in the works and will be made available soon.
For a limited time a Hobie Xbar Extrusion Support Kit will be made available for public purchase for those interested in duplicating the modification I made of adding a Hobie Adventure Island Outrigger (called an ama) to a Hobie Pro Angler 14.
Contact me using the form below and specify that you may be interested in purchasing a Hobie Xbar Extrusion Support Kit for details.
Another short teaser video of a second option I created for mounting an outboard on my Native Slayer Propel 10. Currently waiting on my tiller extension to arrive so I can continue on with this project…