This is a mod that I implemented to my PBR 10e to assist in preventing major wear and scuffing of the hulls keel area.
This is a mod that I implemented to my Pelican Bass Raider 10e which allows a 3d printed shim(s) to be placed inside between the upper and lower deck of the hull after drilling with the hole saw. The purpose of this shim is allow the scupper drain, after insertion, to be properly secured when it is tightened down by the drain nut and not deform the hull surfaces.
3D PRINT FILES: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4775154
DRAIN PLUG: https://amzn.to/2Pclehx
DEEP CUT HOLE SAW: https://amzn.to/3pTowTs
5200 MARINE SEALANT: https://amzn.to/3qTfuat
THRU-HULL DRAIN: https://amzn.to/2ZP5xii
I have been doing some research into the Pelican Bass Raider boats and apparently owners have been getting water into the hulls causing them to have to drain a good amount of water and or add additional drain plugs to the rear to simplify the process. I decided to look into where the water entry is happening and I believe that it may be entering through the seam of the boat where the top and bottom hulls come together. I removed the rubber trim covering this seam and was surprised to see that it was all just stapled together with no indications that a sealant or glue of any type was used. Also I was surprised to see the beginnings of the corrosion process on some of the staples as this boat has never even been to the water yet. You would have thought that they would have used something like stainless steel. For the price I can’t complain lol… So I decided to start the process and use a truck bed liner coating on the seam and over the staples to prevent any possible future water entry into the hull from this area as well as protect the staples from corrosion. So far so good… The lower half is now done and once it dries I can flip it over and to the same to the top side followed up by re-installing the trim which will hide any evidence that this mod was ever done.
2020 Pelican Bass Raider 10E. Let the mods begin… 🙂
I made the Hobie mirage drive fin guards as a means to help protect and extend the life of the leading edge of my mirage drive fin toward the ends where they are most vulnerable to cuts and gouges which can occur from collisions with shallow water obstructions like oysters beds and sharp rocks. The mirage drive fins still rotate on their mast with the guards mounted just like normal. Sadly these will not prevent bending of the mast due to severe contact or collision with an object…
Link for STL file is available on youtubes video description…
So I drew up and 3d printed these fin guards out of ABS plastic today. These guards are meant to protect and extend the life of the leading edge of my mirage drive fins toward the ends where they are most vulnerable to cuts and gouges which can occur from collisions with shallow water obstructions like oysters beds and sharp rocks. The mirage drive fins still rotate on their mast with the guards mounted just like normal. Currently I have made two versions: a tall and short guard to try out so stay tuned for future updates…
I needed some more complex solving type projects so I decided to get a small cheap laser printer and see what trouble I can get into with one of those machines. So far so good as it’s similar to my 3d printing machine except it’s a totally different medium to work with. It should keep me pretty busy around Christmas time making presents for family and friends.
I finally had enough with the propel drive locks on my Native Slayer 10 kayak being such a pain most of the time to engage and disengage so I decided to put my own “spin” on things and create a drive lock mechanism that, to me, is easier to use and more efficient than the stock units.
Just another day fishing local waters and armed with just light tackle trolling a four inch paddle tail this catch was definitely a surprise and very unexpected but so much fun!
I put in a long full day working on my Hobie TI today with much success… Now if only the local DMV would stop sitting on the paperwork so I can get it registered things would move along more quickly…